Sunday, January 4, 2009

A look back at a Fantastic 2008

2008 was a busy and successful year. It was also a year that I traveled a lot. I traveled to the US 6 times and spent about 2 months out of the country.

To start the year off we had the 1.0 release of the Mashup Server in January. Soon after the release I traveled to the US to deliver a talk titled “Mashups, Social Enterprise, Javascript and Open Source: A real mashup! “ at the Open Enterprise 2.0 Mashup Summit: Expanding Customer Value Networks held at NYC Seminar and Conference Center, NY. That was my first visit to the US and it was quite a long one. During this visit I spent a weekend in New York city and took the opportunity to visit the Statue of Liberty and Elis island. After a weekend in New York city I headed down to California to spend a week in the Mountain View office. During this period I also went down to Jonathan's place in Auburn and spent a few days there. We spent time planning out the future features we needed for the Mashup Server. During the weekend we did some hiking looking for a few geocaches and some kayaking as well. It was my first time on a kayak and it was fun. The next week I headed out to New York back again to attend the Web services on Wall street conference.

After a 2 week visit to the US I spent 2 weeks at home before heading out to the US again. This time it was to conduct a few training at SDWEST 2008 which was held in the Santa Clara convention center in California.

This time I had one week at home before heading out to the US again. This time it was to attend the Microsoft Web Services Interop Plug-fest held at the Microsoft campus in Redmond, WA. On our way to Redmond we were gonna spend a day in the Mountain View office as well. The good thing that time around was that I was not traveling alone. Actually this is the only time that I have traveled to the US with my colleagues. It was an unforgettable trip too with us missing our connecting flight from Los Angeles to San Francisco, this was after spending about 40 hours from Colombo to Los Angeles. We spent the night in Los Angeles and headed out to San Francisco the following morning. We then headed off to Seattle later that evening. Been there along with quite a few friends meant that we had a good time.

My next visit to the US was in May and it was back to New York city. It was a consulting engagement and it was for a large stock broker in Wall Street. They were gonna use WSO2 WSAS and WSO2 ESB as a solution to there requirement. We were able to get then started off within just 5 days of work there. Now they are using this solution in production and is one of our good customers.

In between all these travel arrangements I was working on the next release of the WSO2 Mashup Server as well. We were able to release the 1.5 version of the Mashup Server in July. This was a major accomplishment for us.

My next visit to the US was in August to conduct a four day training course on Apache Axis2. This time around I was in the scorching heat of Phoenix, Arizona.

It was just about this time that we were seriously starting work on WSO2 Carbon and the rest of the year was spent on making WSO2 Carbon a success. But my traveling for the year wasn't over, my last visit to the US last year was to attend ApacheCon US 2008 which was held in New Orleans. This was by far the best trip I've had to the US.

To finish off a fantastic year we had a few beta releases of WSO2 Carbon based products. This year will be spent solidifying the products built on the WSO2 Carbon platform. I will be also looking forward to releasing the 2.0 version of the Mashup Server which will be based on WSO2 Carbon.

No comments: